Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Liberated Office Monkey



(That's me over to the side)

Well, this job is going okay, most of the time I just feel like an office monkey developing materials behind a screen of a computer. If this is what organizing is all about, maybe I won't be one for as long as I thought. However, I don't think that this is the case when I get off the ground with this project.

Yesterday, I had my first opportunity to attend a union organizing meeting. This is where the joys of activism that I have been looking for happen. Don, a middle aged white hard nosed tough guy union organizer stood in the basement of a congregation here in Milwaukee. His face showed the signs of wear that fighting for justice may cause, but still remained full of energy and resilient in front of a crowd of black listeners. The people who had came were tired of being treated like animals with no sense of dignity at the workplace. There job consists of handling old drugs, logging them and disposing of them properly. Many of these drugs were not safe to be handling and workers at the plant are being sucepted to needless degrees of dangers at the workplace. They were angry about the positions that they were being put in and for justifiable reasons.

The passion of these workers was unlike anything I had seen. These people, who were beat up and kicked around like trash by their employers knew and collectively realized that they had a voice and if used correctly, they could really bring about change in their lives! People have the power if united together to bring about real social change in their lives! Although much of the time it won't be easy, the fruits of their exploited labor will at some point be realized if they keep their voice up.

As I rode home through the degraded neighborhoods that surrounded the church, I passed over and through the crippling poverty that many of these workers lived in. Something that people in more privileged positions like to call "the ghetto" which are actually neighborhoods where people live. For many of us, it is easy to pass over this "ghetto" on the modern highways and interstates that individuals who have more important things to do use so consistently. But underneath those massive concrete bridges that serve as the veins of our "efficient" capitalist state, there is another reality that exists for a population that is invisible to those of us with Internet connections, a population segregated physically from where we live and segregated from our sights and minds.

This is the reality of the working poor, witnessing empowerment that is already organic to these lively church halls against all the forces of oppression exists something special.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there bros. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that exact model. The prices due to the fact that the shoes are around 170 dollars on every site. But definitively I found this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good day bros. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking for that particular make. The prices for the sneakers are around 220 pounds on every page. But finally I found this location selling them for half price. I absolutely want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hi dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking allowing for regarding that meticulous brand. The prices for the velcros were all over 210 dollars everwhere. But completely I bring about this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase them. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

good afternoon ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching for that exact make. The prices seeking the velcros were all over 190 bucks everwhere. But completely I base this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what can you tell me about these?